1. Earth Day at SOS India
Earth day is celebrated on 22nd April every year globally. It was envisaged to promote the idea of ecology, to encourage respect for life on Earth and highlight growing concerns of different kinds of pollution, depletion of natural resources, deforestation, etc. which makes the life of the Earth full.
SOS Village Shillong
Children along with others in the village celebrated this day with great enthusiasm. During the evening prayer, Miss Ibadondor Rajee shared about how this day was conceived and the importance of celebrating it. In addition, she also shared ways to contribute towards preserving the Mother Earth, which are as follows:
- Usage of eco-friendly products.
- No usage of plastics.
- Planting more trees.
- Limited usage of vehicles to reduce pollution.
- Switching off lights.
- Reduce of industrial waste into rivers.
- Recycle and reuse of various materials.
- Her speech was motivating and was of great help for children, especially, to understand the need to save the environment.
(a) Youth Homes
Earth Day in Arunodaya, Youth house at Umiam was celebrated by young boys by doing the following activities:
Activity No 01: Open discussion on Earth and Earth Day was held amongst children. Youth was asked about ways by which they could contribute to saving the planet.
Activity No 02: ADOPTING A PLANT: Children were taught how to grow a plant.
Activity No 03: GARDEN BED FOR HEALTHY FOOD: The youth planted salad and spinach in the kitchen garden.
Activity No 04: FIX A LEAK: Leaks in pipes were fixed by the youth and knowledge on the importance to save water was imparted.
Activity No 05: HOME COMPOST: Importance of a Home Compost was discussed with youth and an activity to make one was conducted.
SOS Village Greenfields
A short video was released on Earth Day by SOS India, where children from SOS Greenfields actively took part in the shoot and shared simple ways to save planet earth in the video. To watch the video, click here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTKrBxGOsFg
2. Swachh Bharat Week at SOS Village Bhimtal
“Swachh Bharat Week” was observed in Hermann Gmeiner School, Bhimtal from 17-22 April. During this week, children actively took part in activities like dramatic plays that circled around the theme of the importance of planet Earth. Various other plays were also part of the celebration, where contribution of human beings in degrading the environment was portrayed and highlighted. Open discussions and speaker sessions were organized, where children were educated about the repercussions of polluting the environment and the diseases related to it. In addition, they were also taught about measures to help preserve nature.
- Lead to Lift: Vision of the Youth
- July Round up
- August Round up
- September Round up
- International Women’s Day: Liberating Women One Step At A time
- International Day of Happiness: Finding Joy Within
- March Round Up
- New Beginnings Are For Everyone
- April Round Up
- May Round Up
- Celebrating ties of Loyalty, Truth and Honour
- World Day Against Child Labour: A Step Towards Change
- June Round Up
- A peep into the life of a child without a home
- MALNUTRITION IN CHILDREN: A Raging Concern